THE KIDS ON THE BLOGK

Teachers in control. Your worksheets. Your word games.

Teachers in control. Your worksheets.  Your word games.
Just what you've been looking for. With this program, you call the shots.

Thank you, but I am an Award-Free, Tag-Free Blog.

Thank you so much for caring. Instead of an award, won't you Follow an' share your comments? I'm truly glad you are here. ~ Yaya

My Free Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Tremors of a Nation

     You know, with the earthquakes in Haiti, I have been giving a lot of thought to some of the places where earthquakes have left their mark in America.  Of course, California and along the west coast are among the first that come to mind.  But did you know that Missouri was a major spot for earthquakes in the 1800's?

     It was in the winter of 1811-1812, actually, when the New Madrid Fault was showing its strength by raising the ground and lowering it on a regular basis by about four feet.  By some reports, the land almost seemed to have a life of its own, breathing and moving with the force of a woman, giving birth.

     And did you know that in 1886, Charleston, SC experienced an earthquake that was felt by millions of people in the eastern United States and farther, even?  From Canada to Cuba and Iowa to Bermuda, nearly a thousand miles away, the strength of that quake was felt.

     My heart truly is with all those who are struggling and heartbroken because of the devastation in Haiti.  It serves to remind me that every moment should be treasured and every breath appreciated.  Truly, the most important things in life cannot be touched, except by the heart.

     Until the next time, keep a hug on.

Yaya

4 comments:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I'm so moved by the tragedy in Haiti and the response to it. If everyone does just what they can afford, it will work miracles.

That being said, let's not forget to act locally as well.

Debbie said...

I live on the New Madrid faultline. Back in the early 1990s they were predicting the New Madrid to have another devastating earthquake. I had just had my daughter so my harmones were all over the place. I went through my house securing everything...I even taped down what-nots...until I realized in a major quake none of this would help.

My heart goes out to the people of Haiti. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Clementine said...

It's unbelievable, isn't it? So much pain. I hurt so much for those children.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I can't bear to watch anymore images today. I want to go gather all the orphans and bring them home with me!

Help! Help!

Help! Help!
Do you know Orealee Thompson?

Famous

NaNo Junky

NaNo Junky
I'm playing ~ ~ ~ are you?

Meta

Dear

http://Click Here!